NX Tip of the Week
July 10, 2015
NX - Fixing issues with opening NX files from Windows Explorer
If you have had multiple versions of NX on your PC in Windows Explorer, there are times you can't double click on the file and have it open. At times, NX may open but the file does not open or it errors out. You may have multiple versions of NX loaded and you need to have Windows Explorer open the file in a specific version of NX when you double click. Here is how to change/fix this:
1) Open a command prompt (Windows Start Menu then type cmd in the search window - a black window should appear).
2) Type in the following: assoc .prt
3) You should see .prt=UGpartfile
4) Next, type in the following: ftype UGpartfile
5) If all is correct, the NX 10.0 is the version which you want to open when you double click from Windows Explorer, then you will see:
UGpartfile="C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "%1"
6) Or, if you had NX 7.5 previously installed and you uninstalled it, you may see: UGpartfile="C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 7.5\UGII\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "%1". Then again, you may see something different or nothing at all.
7) This would mean the ugs_router.exe from NX 7.5 is being used and not the proper NX version you would prefer. In your case, you want it to use NX 10 so you would do the following:
In the command prompt for NX 10, type:
ftype UGpartfile="C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "%1"
Note, NX 8 is the first version to use the Siemens directory and not UGS for the installation. If you have a 32 bit version of the product installed on a 64 bit machine, you will need to use C:\Program Files (x86)\Siemens\NX 8.0\UGII\ugs_router.exe.
In addition, when starting NX by double-clicking on an NX part file in Windows Explorer and you want to stop the 'Routing to Application' dialog from appearing, try adding "-disable-cancel" to the ugs_router.exe:
"C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir -disable_cancel "%1"
As always, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or help.